Life as a Non-Executive Director
On Thursday 30th October the Harvey Nash Finance and Banking Practice hosted their first regional executive breakfast event at the Royal Botanical Gardens in Birmingham. As with all Harvey Nash thought leadership events the formula was simple; great speaker, great content, plus a room full of engaged executives all adds up to an extremely thought provoking event. Add a full English breakfast and the satisfaction levels go through the roof!
- Start taking on NED appointments whilst you are still an executive as it gives vital experience and insight. Whilst this is challenging, you can find engagements that are less time demanding/stretching (different business within your group, location close to home, sector you know well etc).
- View this as a career. Invest in your network, make choices that will open future doors and give the role as much energy and diligence as you ever did your executive life.
- ‘When’ you become a NED should not be dictated by the length of time you have served as an exec. If you can listen, challenge and are driven by the right motives, then you can make the move. But remember, credibility is key. The career you have had, however long or short, has to demand the respect of your colleagues.
- Being a non-exec means that you do less ‘fire-fighting’. Tim’s blackberry no longer flashes away with the operational problems it once did. Rather than sit back and enjoy that fact, Tim dedicates significant time to reading reports and other research so that he can ensure he picks up on things that execs may have skimmed over.
- Alongside his non-exec appointments Tim also works with 5 exec coaching clients, performs an advisory role for a global tech business and does some pro-bono work. This portfolio of activities gives Tim constant streams of engagement and ensures Tim has the breadth he set out to achieve from the start.
We are stregthening our team in Malmö with the recruitment of Maria Pettersson, starting as Consultant. Maria Pettersson has almost seven years of experience from the recruitment industry and joins us most recently from a role as Consultant Manager, focusing on roles within Financial services. She also brings experience from working with IT…
This week we had a new colleague joining our team in Malmö. Nandie Olsson will be our new Researcher working across a broad range of functions to assist in our assignments within the regions of Skåne and Öresund. "I look forward to getting started working in my profession and being part of the team…
In an increasingly changing business environment with high workload and demands for rapid adaptation, more businesses find the benefit of being able to quickly solve skills shortage by taking on an interim consultant. Who wouldn’t want the opportunity to bring in another pair of eyes to get help and ensure that you spend time doing…