Life as a Non-Executive Director
On Thursday 30th October the Harvey Nash Finance and Banking Practice hosted their first regional executive breakfast event at the Royal Botanical Gardens in Birmingham. As with all Harvey Nash thought leadership events the formula was simple; great speaker, great content, plus a room full of engaged executives all adds up to an extremely thought provoking event. Add a full English breakfast and the satisfaction levels go through the roof!
- Start taking on NED appointments whilst you are still an executive as it gives vital experience and insight. Whilst this is challenging, you can find engagements that are less time demanding/stretching (different business within your group, location close to home, sector you know well etc).
- View this as a career. Invest in your network, make choices that will open future doors and give the role as much energy and diligence as you ever did your executive life.
- ‘When’ you become a NED should not be dictated by the length of time you have served as an exec. If you can listen, challenge and are driven by the right motives, then you can make the move. But remember, credibility is key. The career you have had, however long or short, has to demand the respect of your colleagues.
- Being a non-exec means that you do less ‘fire-fighting’. Tim’s blackberry no longer flashes away with the operational problems it once did. Rather than sit back and enjoy that fact, Tim dedicates significant time to reading reports and other research so that he can ensure he picks up on things that execs may have skimmed over.
- Alongside his non-exec appointments Tim also works with 5 exec coaching clients, performs an advisory role for a global tech business and does some pro-bono work. This portfolio of activities gives Tim constant streams of engagement and ensures Tim has the breadth he set out to achieve from the start.
We have the pleasure of welcoming Melissa Minaya as our new colleague! Melissa is known to us from before having worked for our sister company Alumni, but now she has made the move over to a role as Consultant in our Malmö office at Harvey Nash. Melissa has thorough knowledge of executive search and recruitment
Last week we welcomed two new colleagues to our team at Harvey Nash! Matilda Andersson recently graduated with a degree in Human Resource Management from Uppsala University. Matilda will join as Researcher in our team dedicated to recruitment within IT and Tech roles in Stockholm. Alongside her studies, she has already worked parttime as
The protection and safeguarding of our client’s and candidate’s personal data is a fundamental part of our business operations. We are fully committed to ensure compliance in accordance with the provisions of the various data acts, laws and regulations as applies to our company. With updated Data Protection Regulations coming into force in